They need your help – now
In Myanmar the humanitarian situation has taken a dramatic turn for the worse.
Following ongoing violence in Myanmar, as of October 3, over 500,000 people have crossed over to Bangladesh. An estimated 525,000 people are in need of humanitarian aid within Myanmar and there are 121,000 internally displaced people in Myanmar's Rakhine state where we are one of the only registered British Muslim charities.
Access for aid agencies is limited but Muslim Aid is on the ground, providing emergency help to thousands. Many of those escaping the violence are from the Rohingya, an ethnic minority of around 1.1m Muslims. Refugees in Bangladesh urgently need water, food, sanitation and shelter.
Within Myanmar, Muslim Aid has supported a total of FOURTEEN camps for internally displaced people, FIFTY villages and SIXTY THOUSAND people by creating:
· Food and water: we have distributed 6000 food packages to people who are not entitled to World Food Programme support. We also gave packages to nearly 7000 families during Ramadan and built hundreds of hand pumps.
· Shelter: We have built six long shelters for 48 families (288 people) and are doing renovations in anticipation of monsoon.
· Health: MA has built one hospital, now operated by government staff, and over 100 sanitary facilities. We are now building mobile clinics.
· Education: We have trained 30 teachers, renovated 15 schools, provided equipment and sanitation.
· Livelihood projects: 150 internally displaced women are sewing 8000 school uniforms and making hand soap and shampoo.
Muslim Aid was there to meet the exhausted, traumatized refugees when they arrived.
We made sure 1000 families received a food pack, totalling 450,000 meals,1,500 hygiene kits, giving people back some dignity and preventing disease, safe drinking water to 3,000 families, as cholera is a big risk in Bangladesh.
As winter approaches we will be scaling up our operations with ongoing shelter, food assistance and sanitation, to accommodate this horrifically escalating disaster. Without agencies like us they simply have nothing.
Muslim Aid has been working in the area of Myanmar for many years. We now need your help more than ever before.
Donate now to our Emergency Appeal to help those who have lost everything.
Your generous donation will help us deliver:
This is a humanitarian crisis.