Summary of Role
This crucial role will lead Muslim Aid’s global emergency surge management through the continual development and management of humanitarian capacity and surge resources ensuring high quality programme delivery to communities affected by disasters. This includes responding to slow and rapid onset emergencies and supporting communities to become resilient to future shocks. In all its work, Muslim Aid ensures focus is on the affected population.
About the Role
The post holder will contribute to the development of the global humanitarian programme strategy whilst providing operational management assistance, funding and programmatic support to the humanitarian team, country offices and working in close coordination with the Regional teams and the International Programmes Directorate. The post also acts as a focal point for World Humanitarian Summit, CHS, and related advocacy issues.
The main responsibilities of this role will be to:
- Ensure Humanitarian response programmes are well managed and coordinated internally and externally.
- Ensure that departmental objectives are actively monitored, continuously analysed and adaptable to changing internal and external environments.
- Prepare MA humanitarian plans with budgets and initiating a timely and effective emergency response.
- Manage the recruitment, identification and deployment of humanitarian surge resources for global emergency responses.
- Create and manage systems to support surge staff (including performance management), and regularly analyse and report on the resultant data.
- In emergency situations, undertake deployments to field locations in order to assist disaster response efforts through effective surge management and programmatic support.
- Work with local MA teams to create action plans, closely monitor project statuses from start to finish, and contribute to the effective implementation and delivery of emergency projects.
This role is based in the UK and open to individuals with unrestricted right to live and work in the UK. At this stage we are unable to offer sponsorship opportunities.
To be successful in this role:
- Significant experience in Disaster Management at national and international level with an International NGO.
- Knowledge of disaster management and a good understanding of relevant humanitarian and policy issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of International Humanitarian System and the WHS.
- Demonstrated understanding in most of the following sectors: Disaster and response management; Community managed disaster preparedness activities; Government (s) led Disaster Management System.
- Knowledge of the dynamics of national partner organisations and role of the Government, INGOs and UN agencies in humanitarian settings.
- Good knowledge of best practices in surge capacity.
- Relevant qualifications in a related field
Why you should Apply
If you are self-motivated, with the ability to work with a high degree of autonomy this role is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious humanitarian response specialist to be able to lead on, build and develop Muslim Aid’s humanitarian capacity and surge resources. This role offers incredible breadth and depth of experience and could be a fascinating opportunity to develop your career.
You will be joining a supportive, highly-skilled, passionate organisation as a specialist in your field. Muslim Aid offer a 35-hour week, generous holiday allowance of 37 days (including bank holidays), flexible working and encourage a healthy work-life balance.